You've certainly felt the pain of distractions and interruptions at work. Have you been putting all your focus into completing a certain task, been interrupted, and then afterwards can't remember where you were? Or worse yet, you don't ever go back to your original place?
The amount of emails and interruptions we get at work is truly staggering. Check out some of these startling statistics:
- The average employee spends 28% of their time dealing with unnecessary interruptions followed by "recovery time" to get back on track. (2009, Basex)
- The time spent per day being interrupted and trying to refocus is 2.1 hours. (2009, Basex)
- Physically co-located workers spend longer chunks of time engaged in tasks for which they are not accountable. (University of California-Irvine)
- The average manager is interrupted every 8 minutes. (Study conducted by Priority Management)
- The Institute of Psychiatry at the University of London suggests that your IQ falls 10 points when you're fielding constant emails, text messages and calls. This is the same loss you'd experience if you had missed an entire night's sleep. (Yoga Journal, p. 22, 12/2005).
- The cost of managing interruptions at work costs the US economy $588 billion per year. (2009, Basex)
Think what a difference it would make to your organization to only cut the amount of interruptions in half! Think what a difference it could make in our national economy! It's never been more important to help employees, teams and organizations reduce interruptions and better manage their time.
Download our FREE whitepaper "Startling Statistics About How We Use Our Time." This will help you get in touch with your top priorities as you invest your time instead of just spending it. Your time is your life!
How are interruptions impacting you at work? Please share your comments with us below.